No fewer than 15 Nigerian soldiers have been reportedly killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists in an attack on a military base in Borno state, security sources said on Saturday, May 4.
Premium Times reports that the insurgents rode into Magumeri local government area at about 6pm on Friday, May 3, and sacked a brigade there.
Among the 15 soldiers who lost their lives during the attack were a captain and a lieutenant. The identity of the officers has been withheld to allow Nigerian Army enough time to notify their loved ones.
Nineteen soldiers were wounded in the attack and have been evacuated to the military hospital in Maiduguri for treatment.
About 24 soldiers who survived the attack have left the base to a safer military facility, sources said. According to report, the insurgents stole heavy military equipment, including anti-aircraft machine guns and Toyota Hilux vehicles during the attack.
The level of casualties against the terrorists is yet unknown. However, the Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) had already claimed credits for the attack via its propaganda channels.
The Nigerian Army is yet to issue a statement about the attack.
This is coming less than two weeks after members of the terrorist group reportedly invaded a base occupied by Nigerian soldiers in Mararrabar Kimba, some kilometres from Maiduguri, capital of Borno state.
No fewer than five soldiers were killed in the attack which happened on April 26, while some are said to still be missing after they retracted during the gun duel.