The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the ongoing Edo State governorship election, Osagie Ize-Iyamu, has expressed concerns about the presence of governors Akinwunmi Ambode and Nasir el-Rufai of Lagos and Kaduna states respectively, in the state.
Ize-Iyamu, who claimed that both governors were in the state, said their intentions could not be genuine.
He also accused the All Progressives Congress of using security operatives to intimidate his supporters.
He said, “You know that they have been using security agencies to harass our people, even till last night, trying to arrest them and detain them on very flimsy excuses.
“But we have also spoken to their superiors, who assured us that those who are doing so are doing so on their own and they will call them to order. For now, we are satisfied with that assurance.
“We are also aware that the governors of Lagos and Kaduna states, Ambode and el-Rufai, are also in Benin and this is worrisome because if the security agencies can declare restriction on movement even for those in the state, we are wondering why two governors not from Edo State will relocate to our state.
“We think that the reasons cannot be genuine; we have gone through the period of campaigning and expect that Edo people will be left alone to vote.”
Ize-Iyamu, however, expressed satisfaction with the voter turnout and the conduct of INEC officials in his polling unit.
He said, “The turnout is impressive. The security people and INEC officials are around. We are praying to God that what we are seeing here is what is also playing out (elsewhere).
“I am happy that, at least in this place, the card reader has worked. I hope it is also working in other places. So, from what I have seen here, I am impressed; even though because of network difficulties, I have not been able to find out what is happening elsewhere.
“Now that I have voted, I will try and phone other places to know what is happening.”
Our correspondent could not immediately confirm if both governors are actually in Benin as of the time of filing this report.
- 12 years old girl gang raped to death in Anambra [Graphic Photos]
- Ighalo reveals why Nigeria lost to Croatia in World cup opener
- Brazil 1 – 1 Switzerland: Switzerland held Brazil to one all draw
- Brazil 1 – 1 Switzerland live scores from the tough match
- Brazil vs Switzerland live updates as it happens
- Makarfi joins presidential race vows to kick out Buhari
- Nigerian Man Kisses His Croatian Babe On The Streets Of Russia after Eagle lost
- Russia world cup 2018 goals catalog for every matches
- 100 Happy Fathers day 2018 Messages, wishes, Quotes and Pictures you can send to Fathers
- Croatia 2-0 Nigeria: Nigerians react hilariously to 2 zero lost to Croatia